Q. What is ProtoTech's 3D Measure Up?
ProtoTech's 3D Measure Up is a measurement technology solution that detects 250+ landmarks and features of a human body (e.g. ankle, knee, tip of nose, shoulder point, etc.) and provides accurate measurements. It is available as a web application for end users and it can be also integrated into your own application using the API.
Q. How does 3D Measure Up work?
3D Measure Up is automatic. It takes a 3D body scan in various formats (OBJ, STL, etc) as input and automatically detects the body landmarks and measures. The output is presented as annotations on 3D model and is also available in various forms such .csv, .xls, .html (3D). 3D Measure Up uses a mix of geometry, computational, and machine learning (ML) algorithms to do this.
Q. What are the most common use cases for 3D Measure Up?
3D Measure Up helps you get measurements automatically and accurately without requiring any contact. This makes it very versatile solution and can be applied in many ways. The most common use-cases for 3D Measure Up include:
• Made to Measure (MTM) Apparel: Custom fitted apparels for comfort, fashion, sports, and medical industries.
• Custom Orthotics and Prosthetics: Doctors can design custom orthotics, prosthetics for their patients thereby providing a perfect fitting brace
• Effectiveness of Fitness Programs: Health, fitness and wellness companies to track their clients’ body shape and effectiveness of fitness programs
• Ergonomic Analysis: Automotive, Aerospace, Marine, Furniture, Design engineers for ergonomic analysis
• Inventory Utilization: eTail0rs, eCommerce companies to reduce the return of fashion ware because of misfit
• Contactless Trials: Innerwear, Intimatewear, Lingerie companies improve customer satisfaction by providing best fit products without needing to actually trial
• Medical Application: Doctors can design compression socks, insoles, etc. for their patients
• Digital Twins and Gaming Avatars: Real-life look-a-like avatars for digital media and gaming
• OEM Measurement Software for Scanners: 3D scanner, LIDAR scanner companies can provide white-labeled software with their hardware
Q. How do I get started with 3D Measure Up?
It's easy. Just sign up for a free trial (no credit card required!). Once you are signed up, you can use our sample 3D models to try out yourself or upload your 3D models and perform the measurements. Our UI is very easy and intuitive.
For further details refer resources , measurement guide, API documentation.
Q. What is the size of 3D scan model 3D Measure Up supports?
We support 3D Scan size upto 20MB. It is our observation that files larger than 20MB do not have a significant impact on the precision of the measurement. On the contrary, larger files take longer to upload and process.
Q. How accurate are the measurements?
For landmark identification, 3D Measure Up uses a proprietary algorithm which is a combination of geometrical, computational, and Machine Learning methods. Because of this, we have achieved a high degree of accuracy.
For measurements, in most of the cases, we use purely geometry methods and hence the precision is very high, way higher than required by most of the applications that it is used for.
Q. Does 3D Measure Up very low resolution (small file size) scan models?
Why not? There is no such condition. You are free to provide very low resolution scans as long as it contains enough details to visibly identify the landmarks (by a human being) and the precision of the measurement obtained is acceptable to you.
Q. What are the factors that will impact the quality of the measurements?
While 3D Measure Up is extremely robust, here are the factors that will increase the quality of results
1. Mesh Quality: A good quality mesh received from the scanner will yield better results. The best mesh is a single, watertight mesh. Avoid stray triangles, broken and self intersecting meshes to the extent possible
2. Pose: Though 3D Measure Up can handle any pose, 'A' pose is ideal - model standing with arms straight and pointing downwards. 'T' pose is also good. Erect posture without a stoop, arms sideways and not touching torso, distanced legs without touching each other are other points to consider
3. Alignment: A model which is perfectly aligned (no leans, no stoops) with '+Y' along the height of the person is ideal. Having said that, 3D Measure Up has inbuilt capability to correct alignment.
4. Mesh Size: A high resolution mesh will yield a better precision. Having said that, it is our observation that mesh size between 7MB to 12MB yields enough precision for most of the general applications. Beyond 12MB, the impact on performance may not be worth the increase in precision. Though you may want to validate this specifically for your requirements.
5. Clothing, hair styling and other accessories: The clothes should tight fitting to get accurate measurements. Accessories straying out of body surface or altering profile is best avoided. Hair should ideally be tied and tucked neatly as close as possible to the head.
Q. What are the factors that will impact the quality of the 3D scan generated using Photo to 3D?
• Click the photo of the person standing in an A Pose. The photo should contain the full body (no parts should be cut).
• Ensure that the background is blank or white. If there is a background then use the removebg.com service to remove the background.
• Click the photo with the camera at chest height and 6 feet distance from the person.
• Click the photo in a well-illuminated space.
• In case the person has long hair then it is will be best to tie the hair at the back.
• Measurements take with the person in tight fit clothes are more accurate.
• Enter the height of the person in centimeters.
• The person should be facing the camera.
• Only one person should be present in the photo.
• Camera should be properly aligned i.e. should not be tilted.
Q. What landmarks and measurements 3D Measure Up provides?
3D Measure Up detects hundreds of landmarks on the 3D scan of the human body and provides many measurements. A few examples are nose point, chin, neck, waist, back shoulder, knee, ankle, wrist, etc. We support landmarks defined by various international standards viz. ISO-8559-1, Bufar, etc. For a detailed catalogue of the measurements we support, please refer to the link It provides a deep learning to understand 3D body scans and recognize features.
Q. I need to support my own custom landmarks for measurements. Can I do that?
Yes, adding custom or proprietory landmarks and measurements is supported. Please contact us for more details
Q How can I make sure I get the best and most accurate measurements from my 3D scans?
For the best landmark identification and measurements, we recommend following guidenlines for input 3D scans:
For better accuracy of measurements:
Q. How should the model be aligned for generating measurement?
The model should be aligned, ideally with feet flat on the ground, height along +Y axis and face along +Z axis. If you know the model is not aligned, please use the automatic alignment feature before you request for measurements.
Q. What is the accuracy rate and sample size required by 3D Measure Up software?
Visit here for more details.
Q. What is the average time taken by 3D Measure Up to return all the default measurements ?
It takes 20-40 seconds to return all the default measurements on a model of size approx 5-10 MB.
Having said that, factors like size of model and complexity of measurements impact directly on time taken for the computation.
By experiment we have observed that models in the range 5-10 MB are enough for good accuracy of the measurements. Models of higher density (and hence size) do not contribute much to the accuracy of the measurements and may increase the time taken for computation.
Q. What's the cost for the API?
We offer both monthly and annual billing. Depending on what option you choose, your membership will be renewed at the end of each month or at the end of each year. If you choose to pay annually, you’ll save up to 20% compared to paying monthly. Visit the link for further details.
Q. How much does ProtoTech 3D Measure Up cost?
Q. What are the payment options?
Our payment gateways support all kinds of payment options credit cards (Visa, Master, Amex, etc.), debit cards, etc. We also support Paypal. Please contact us if you need any help in this regards.
Q. Can I try 3D Measure Up? If yes, how? How much it costs to try?
We have a free trial version available for you to test out before you decide to purchase. You can sign up for the trial version. The trial version has most of the features of paid version. What even better, no credit card or commitment is required to sign up for the trial.
Q. How do I sign up?
Signing up for 3D Measure UP is easy. On the home page, click on the Login/Sign Up button.
You will be redirected to the login page. Login using your email address.
Provide your company name, email address, and contact number, choose a password of your liking, and you're good to go.
On signing up, you get a fully-featured 14-day free trial of the product before you choose to subscribe to 3D Measure Up paid plans.
Q. If I measure the same scan number of times, is it counted as a one or each is a seperate count?
3D Measure UP is a pay-as-you-use service. It is also a stateless system i.e. We only use your 3D scan for computing measurements and the model is not archived or stored and deleted after processing. Every measurement request is unique and billed separately.
Q. Do you offer credits for researchers and students?
We offer researchers and students credits based on the project and its contribution to the industry. Contact us to know more.
Q. I want to use the API, how do I subscribe?
The API access is part of the Enterprise Plan. Contact us for subscribing to this plan.
Q. I want to use the OEM APP, how do I subscribe?
The OEM App is part of the Enterprise Plan. Contact us for subscribing to this plan.
Q. Can I cancel my subscription?
Yes, you can cancel your subscription at any time you feel. Contact us to stop the subscription by sending a mail firstname.lastname@example.org. The subscription period will before the start of the next billing month.
Q. Do you store my credit card information?
Q. Can I test before I sign up?
We have a free trial version available for you to test out before you decide to purchase. You can sign up for the trial version. The trial version has most of the features of paid version.
Q. What is the minimum subscription period?
For the web application the minimum subscription period is one month. For products wherein API/SDK integrations are done the minimum period post the free trial is one year (non-cancellable) payable on a monthly/yearly basis.
You’ve options to select SaaS license for 2/3 years for lower license fees. You’re always free to upgrade your plan to a higher plan version anytime you wish.
Q. I use the free plan. Can I get product support?
Yes, basic support is available for all plans. The free plan comes with email support. Send your queries to email@example.com any time. We are available Monday to Friday, 9 am to 7 pm Indian Standard Time
Q. How does 3D Measure Up assists bespoke tailoring services?
3D Measure Up retrieves take 30+ upper body measurements and 40+ lower body measurements to create your custom fit.
Q. Can I get a measurement for cloth which involves partial measurement on the body surface and partially hanging down freely?
Yes, 3D Measure Up API provides an option to get a distance using a free-fall method.
Q. Can I use 3D Measure Up to get measurements for free flowing clothes like gowns and women dresses?
Yes, 3D Measure Up API provides an option to get a distance using a free-fall method.
Q. Have more questions?
Reach out to us anytime by sending your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. 3D Measure Up runs on which platform? Will it work in a desktop web browser and also mobile browser?
3D Measure Up Web App runs on any browser. It can be used on a desktop, laptop, tablet or smart phones. It does not require any installation.
3D Measure Up API is available as REST API and can be integrated with any application. Language bindings (C#, Python, etc.) are also available upon request.
Q. Does 3D Measure Up require more than a standard camera?
3D Measure Up takes a 3D body scan in various formats (OBJ, STL, etc) as input and automatically detects the body landmarks and measures. The scan is generated using a 3D scanner (handheld or booth), LIDAR scanner or phone-based scanning application.
Q. What APIs does 3D Measure Up offer?
A single API can be used for fully automated landmark detection and measurements. Apart from that, many other APIs are available for atomic functions viz. model alignment, specific distance measurement, etc. For details, please refer to the 3D Measure Up API Reference.
Q. How does the API work?
It's simple. You upload 3D scan to any HTTP server or cloud storage Google Drive or Dropbox file URL. The URL of the scan is passed as a parameter to the API. 3D Measure API retrieves the scan from the URL for generating measurements. The landmark details and measurements are output as a JSON stream for you to easily use in the way you wish.
Q. We sell 3D scanners. Can we bundle 3D Measure Up with our scanners?
Of course, you can. And very easily too. You have multiple options.
1. You can bundle a subscription of 3D Measure Up along with your scanner. For volume discount, please contact us
2. You can create your own branded application using 3D Measure Up OEM version with your own logo and customized features.
3. You can create your own application and call 3D Measure Up API for measurements.
Q. Tell me more about 3D Measure Up WebApp OEM version?
3D Measure Up WebApp is available as white labelled app. You can put your own logo and ship it. Further, you can also customize - give it your own color theme, add/remove features, change the look and feel easily. The architecture is very simple and extensible. A web developer can do this in a matter of a couple of days. You can find the documentation here. For pricing, please contact us
Q. I am concerned by the privacy and confidentiality of my 3D scans. How do you take care of that?
Also are we able to keep user information in a local database as per security and privacy requirements?
At 3D Measure Up, we consider 'privacy and confidentiality' of your 3D scan as our utmost priority. This is how we take care of it
1. Fully automated pipeline: This means no person ever sees or accesses your 3D data
2. Processing only: We only use your 3D scan for computing measurements. The model is not archived or stored and deleted after processing
3. Machine Learning: We have our own dataset to train the ML algorithms and do not use your 3D scans at all.
If you have any further queries or concerns regarding privacy, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.
4. Proven, Known and Secured Infrastructure: We use AWS infrastructure which offers the state of the art security.
Q. What 3D scan formats does ProtoTech 3D Measure Up support?
ProtoTech 3D Measure Up currently supports scan in the following formats
If you would like us to support a different format, you can contact us.
Q. Is there a desktop version of 3D Measure Up?
3D Measure Up began as a desktop product. We would have loved to continue to develop it further, but the power of super fast processing and ML is only possible by using technologies which are available through cloud based infrastructure and technologies. If you are still interested in desktop verison, please Contact Us.
Q, Is it possible to self-host cloud version?
Yes, a self-hosted, on-premise option is available. Please contact us and we will be happy to help
Q. What is deep learning?
Deep learning is a sub-field of Machine Learning and a significant branch of Artificial Intelligence. It aims to infer high-level abstractions from raw data by using a deep graph with multiple processing layers composed of multiple linear and non-linear transformations. Deep learning is loosely based on models of information processing and communication in the brain. Deep learning replaces handcrafted features with ones learned from very large amounts of annotated data. Learning occurs by iteratively estimating hundreds of thousands of parameters in the deep graph with efficient algorithms.
Several deep learning architectures such as convolutional deep neural networks (CNNs), and recurrent neural networks have been applied to computer vision, speech recognition, natural language processing, and audio recognition to produce state-of-the-art results on various tasks.
ProtoTech is one of the pioneering companies to apply deep learning principles to 3D data. 3D Measure Up service use deep learning to understand 3D body scans and recognize features.
Q. Do I need any deep learning expertise to use 3D Measure Up?
No. With 3D Measure Up, you don’t have to build, maintain or upgrade deep learning pipelines.
To achieve accurate results on complex 3D scans such as feature detection, mesh processing, point cloud manipulations, geometry computations deep learning systems need to be tuned properly. 3D Measure Up is fully managed and comes pre-trained for 3D body scan recognition and measurement tasks so that you don’t have invest your time and resources on creating a deep learning pipeline. 3D Measure Up continues to improve the accuracy of its models by building upon the latest research and sourcing new training data. Please note that we do not use your data for training our algorithms.
Q. How to reduce the number of polygons of your 3D file with Meshlab